Have been receiving appreciation for earlier post on Corruption on Twitter and via Email . So I was looking for a topic for the next post to which i could relate personally . I am asked this question now and then – Why Vegetarian ? (It’s something not quite expected from a Punjabi and that too a Delhiite / Yes , People here live for Butter Chicken . No offense to anyone ) . So here I present my case :-
1. Longer Life : While Counting benefits its good to start from personal benefits . According to studies Vegetarians live about seven years longer, and vegans about 15 years longer than meat eaters .
2.It’s Good for Heart : Fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidant nutrients that protect the heart and its arteries and contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. Incidentally, cholesterol levels for vegetarians are 14 percent lower than meat eaters.
3.It keeps Obesity away : Diets that are higher in vegetable proteins are much lower in fat and calories and hence such people are less prone to weight related disorders .
4.Detoxification of Body : Vegetarian diet help in purging harmful toxins which are primarily responsible for various illness.Meat and fish on the other hand contain a lot of residue from toxic chemicals.
5. Because I refuse to be cruel to animals: If Slaughterhouses were made of glass , then everyone would have been a Vegetarian . Deprived of veterinary care, exercise, sunlight, and even the feel of grass beneath their feet, these living, breathing, thinking, feeling beings, whose senses are so much like our own, suffer and die at the rate of millions per day just so that we can have food made from them. Deciding what we will eat means choosing between the horrors of factory farming and respect for animals.
6. Food Security : An inherent problem with eating meat is that an animal must be fed roughly ten pounds of plants to produce one pound of meat. Therefore, much more food is consumed to support the animals than would be needed if more people were vegetarians. In the world where people die by Hunger , this is utter waste of resources which otherwise could be used to feed poor .
7. Because we care for Our Environment and Ecosystems : To make room for enough farmland, the meat
industry constantly destroys vital ecosystems, thus taking away the habitats of myriad species and reducing
biodiversity. The meat industry also contributes significantly to global warming. A vegetarian diet also conserves water.
8. It’s Economical : We don’t need any statistics to prove this . A well balanced Vegetarian diet is much cheaper than that for same amount of a Non Vegetarian one . Also it provides much more variety .
9. Healthy Bones , Lesser Risk for Cancer , Diabetes and Kidney stones : A vegetarian diet helps build healthy bones because vegetarians absorb more calcium than meat eaters.
10. Economic Vote : I show support of the meat industry and the way they operate when I purchase and use their products. Also the sacrifice I make when I forgo meat is nothing compared to the animals, its life.
“As long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” ~ Pythagorus