Corruption according to the dictionary can be defined as the practice of dishonest and fraudulent conduct by those in power for private gains . It includes practices like bribery , nepotism , fraud , embezzlement etc . The phenomenon is not as simple as just sounded and is certainly not confined to India . It is rather a global phenomenon . There have been instance when Governments in Japan fell because of charges of corruption . In USA their is systematic process of lobbying which influences the policy making at highest level .
India of today is far different from what Rabindranath Tagore dreamed when he wrote ” Into the heaven of freedom , let my country awake ” . On the contrary , it has been reduced to the state of decadence because corruption , illiteracy , poverty and many other evils .
Economy of India was under socialist inspired policies for quite a long time from 1950’s to late 1980’s . The policies were characterized by extreme regulation , protectionism and public ownership . These were in turn vulnerable to pervasive corruption and low growth . This in a way institutionalized corruption in the public life . And today , corruption is not just the part of system , but it has become the system itself .
In 2011, India was ranked 95th out of 178 countries in transparency International ‘s corruption perception index . Over the years , India has been consistent with such dismal record . Recent scams like 2G spectrum scam , CWG scam with mind bogglingly large figures are still fresh in public memory . According to news reports , India has more black money stashed abroad than rest of the world combined . Indian owned Swiss bank accounts assets are 13 times the National debt .
1. In India , spirituality has given way to materialism and consumerism which figure in the topmost priorities and morals & ethics are at the bottom of the ladder . Willingness to sacrifice for the sake of not getting involved in corrupt dealings is conspicuous by its absence amongst the most .
2. In the lack of effective legislations and loopholes in the system , corruption is considered as the low risk and highly profitable and rewarding proposition .
3.Judicial Process – There is delay in disposing of corruption cases Corrupt officials even if caught can manage to get scot free in due course of time by manipulation of system .
4. Red Tapism – Long and complex procedure breeds corruption . License system bears testimony to the fact .
Corruption has far reaching consequences due to its pervasiveness and scale .
1. Corruption begins at the top and distorts the development programmes and policies .The benefit of schemes does not reaches the target group .
2. Money earned through corruption is smuggled abroad in safe havens . It is often used in anti social practices .
3.Shoddy infrastructure – When there is preferential treatment in awarding contracts , the infrastructure created is of low quality .
4. It hugely hampers the credibility of nations and economic boom .
Gandhiji once said ” To check the corruption , we require high code of morals and extreme vigilance on part of those who are free from corrupt practices “.
1.Full transparency should be adopted in official dealing . Defense deals and other deals involving large amount of money should be scrutinized by independent bodies rather than in house screening where political pressure can swing the decision .
2.Cases while in judiciary should be accelerated and time bound .
3.Bodies like CVC , CBI and Lokayukta should be headed by people of high integrity and should be autonomous truly with executive powers .
4.Electoral Reforms -Election expenses should not be allowed to cross limits . Money used should be accounted.
5. People and society can play significant role here We should not cast are votes on the basis of caste , creed or religion but on the basis of values and character of candidate . RigVeda also says that only ethically pure and intellectually capable people should be allowed to administer the country .
6.E Governance – The official records should be digitized to remove the scope of corrupt practices .
7. All politicians should be made to declare their assets and some measures should be taken to scrutinize the holdings .
8. Real Estate – We should free the economy particularly those administering properties and dealings . MCDs and other local bodies should be overhauled making them more accountable .
(This is the longest and most exhaustive post I ever wrote .Good luck to me .)